Edit Content
follow us
BACK

Supreme Italian Wine

Carlo Cambi Editore

Production area: The wine is produced by vinification of the best Nebbiolo grapes from the estate’s vineyards in Monteforche and Granera, Communes of Priocca and Castellinaldo, where the vines are over 25 years old. Soil composition: The vineyards stand in a hilly zone, on silty soil with high clay content, at an altitude between 250 and 300 meters above sea level with exposure to the south/south-west. Grapes used: Nebbiolo 100% Cultivation system: Free standing espalier with guyot pruning. Density of plants: 4.500 vines per hectare. Production techniques: After the harvest, which usually begins in the first ten days of October, the grapes are destemmed and pres sed and the must is set to alcoholic fermentation which continues for 7 days at a temperature of 28-30°C in stainless steel recipients. At the same time contact with the skins is carried out for 8 days. During the first 5-6 days there are frequent délestages and daily re-passing of the must over the dregs. On completion of this phase 60% of the wine goes into French oak barriques, rough and fine grain, and the other 40% into 20 HI Slavonian oak casks for malolactic fermentation, remaining there for about 22 months during which it is decanted at least twice. At the end of aging the batches are blended and, after a brief period of decantation, the wine is bottled for further maturing of 4 months before being put on the market. Quantity produced: 4.500 bottles a year. Tasting notes: A fine, dark ruby red with violet highlights. The bouquet offers broad, full, refined and gentle perfumes of bilberry jam which gradually open up to spicy notes of mint, citron, white pepper and licorice. On the palate it has an elegant entry and the structure of a great wine, with gentle, balanced, velvety tannins which, together with great keenness, give it per sistence and longevity. It closes with the spicy notes perceived in the bouquet. First year: 1996 Notes: The wine reaches maturity 5 years after the harvest and the aging plateau is between 5 and 15 years.